Consecutive Interpreting Training Course
Ukraine-Europe Linguistic Centre offers a crash course in professional interpreting comprising two-months training in two-way consecutive interpreting.
The course is intended to raise professional awareness of students in the issues of basic interpretation and translation approaches, interpreters` devices and tools, interpreters` ethics, communication aspects of interpreting, interpretation audiences, training and preparation methods, professional interpreters` basic vocabulary, interpretation psychology and stress factors.
Course duration – 24 classes (48 classroom hours). Classes are held on Saturday and Sunday from 10:00 to 13:00. Course completion is formally certified.
Among other subjects, the course covers:
- general translation theory basics (transformations, equivalence, main approaches, intermediate translation models, etc.);
- specific features and difficulties of oral translation (interpretation) with special emphasis on modern communication peculiarities (high speech tempo, newly coined metaphors, general `democratization` of the language, professional slang);
- linguistic aspects of interpreting (transformational and denotatum-based approaches, background information role, domination of regular equivalents, limited context);
- psychophysiology of interpreting (categorization of stress factors, methods of relaxation, `role model` of an interpreter);
- phonetics in interpreting (interdependence of pronunciation and perception, pauses and intonation, typical deviations from RP);
- professional interpreting techniques and devices, including text compression, rephrasing, generalization, omissions, `ready-made` speech clichés;
- professional interpreting `success story`, including description of linguistic and extra-linguistic factors which determine the success of interpretation;
- interpretation difficulties and barriers, including high speech tempo, speakers` incorrect pronunciation, `precision words` (numerals, geographical and proper names), semantically incomplete utterances;
- interpreters` typical mistakes, including omissions, semantic and stylistic incoherence, delays, attempts to catch up with the speaker, etc.;
- specifics of English-Russian / Ukrainian language pair, including:
- predominantly verbal way of expression in English vs. predominantly nominative in Russian / Ukrainian;
- differences in rhetoric;
- role of context;
- methods of compensation;
- specific features of professional interpreting varieties, including interpreting at technical, scientific, and political conferences and seminars, focus group discussions, round table talks, presentations, press-conferences, etc.
Students` training combines lecturing on basic theoretical issues and interpreting practice, based on video/audio records of speeches and presentations.
Main training manuals:
Мирам Г.Э., Дайнеко В.В., Гон А.М., Тарануха Л.А., Грищенко М.В. Основы перевода. – К.: Эльга – Ника-Центр, 2006
Мірам Г.Е., Дайнеко В.В., Іванова С.В. Коучінг для усних перекладачів. – К.: Эльга – Ника-Центр, 2011
Мірам Г.Е., Дайнеко В.В., Іванова С.В. Тренінг-курс двостороннього послідовного перекладу. Англо-українська мовна пара. – К.: Эльга – Ника-Центр, 2013
Course price – 9,000 UAH.